These are very new qualifications starting their life in 2020 but only at some colleges throughout the country. It’s a good idea to look up your local college and have a look on their website. Have a look on https://www.tlevels.gov.uk/students
There are 22 planned courses or categories that will have more teaching hours than most current technical programs and will include a compulsory work placement of 45 to 60 working days.
They are two year, level 3 study programmes and are asubstantial technical qualification:
- practical skills and knowledge specific to their chosen industry and occupation
- at least 45 days’ industry placement in their chosen industry or occupation
- English, maths and digital skills.
T Levels will become one of three major options when a student reaches level 3, alongside apprenticeships for students who wish to study and train for a specific occupation ‘on the job’, and A levels for students who wish to continue academic education. They are intended to eventually replace BTECs and co.
T Level study programmes will include the following mandatory elements:
- a ‘core’ set of underpinning knowledge, concepts and skills, tailored for their chosen industry and occupation: ‘core content’
- specialist training covering occupational or industry – specific skills: ‘occupational specialist content’
- an industry placement with an employer, which will last for 45 working days
If you would like to find out how many ucas points you can gain if you’re using T Levels to get into university; have a look on: https://www.ucas.com/further-education/post-16-qualifications/qualifications-you-can-take/t-levels
Where can you study T Levels?
This just a short summary of all the colleges local to West Dorset and it’s not intended to be an exhaustive list.
- Exeter College: https://exe-coll.ac.uk/school-leavers/t-levels/
- Yeovil College: https://www.yeovil.ac.uk/school-leavers/t-levels/
- Bridgwater and Taunton College: https://www.btc.ac.uk/find-a-course/school-leavers/t-levels/
- Petroc: https://www.petroc.ac.uk/courses/t-levels/
- I haven’t found anything yet about T Levels at Weymouth College. If you have, please let me know and I’ll include it on here.